4/25/2013

Fifi of the Desert

First of all, I want to apologize for not sending an article out last Saturday. Writing these pieces just for you is definitely one of the best parts of my week, but life got in the way and I ran out of time.

I had promised to go away with my daughter, son-in-law and baby granddaughter to the Coachella Music Festival near Palm Springs, CA for a 4-day weekend, so my week was cut short. For those of you not familiar with this event, it is a music extravaganza that has been in existence for about 15 years. People come from all over the world to participate. For those of you in my age group, it's like Woodstock but way more organized. People come with their whole families, including the little ones in strollers.

We left early on Friday morning and headed out towards the desert. The kids had rented us a very nice, well-appointed condo in the heart of Palm Springs. The plan was that we would spend the days together and then they would go to the music events in late afternoon-early evening and I would stay with my little 10 month old Lulu. You didn't think I was going to the festival, did you? Heavens no! First of all, I hate heat. Even in April, the temperatures hover over 100 degrees in the Coachella Valley. Secondly, I may be the hippest granny around but I am not familiar with even one of the bands that was playing. I know I have young readers out there, but those of you my age... have you ever heard of Vintage Troubles, Infected Mushroom or Vampire Weekend? No, I didn't go. I was having my own music festival back at the condo with my granddaughter. Old MacDonald and Patty Cake are much more my taste in music. Lulu thinks I rock because I do choreography, as well. Nothing feels better than making her giggle.

When we first arrived, I made a trip to the grocery store to fill up our state-of-the-art kitchen. I liked the idea of cooking breakfast for everyone. I made it my business to divide the grocery list into 2 categories: snack food and healthy food. I figured with everyone nibbling on a combination, that I wouldn't just be feeding my family junk. Of course I bought cookies, potato chips, Cheetos, a little candy, a coffee cake. I bought a half dozen bagels and some whipped cream cheese. I also bought fresh apples and oranges, dried apricots and plums, pretzel sticks and a nice tray of pre-cut raw vegetables.

The weekend went great. I got a little time to relax and I got lots of time with my little girl. I sang to her, played "Horsey" with her, read to her and slept beside her when nap time came. For those of you out there who are grandparents, you know what I am talking about. It's so delicious and that child cannot do anything that annoys me. My mother, bless her, used to say that the true reason for ever becoming a parent is so you can be a grandparent. She may have been right. I so wish my mom were here to know Lulu. She would have been absolutely mad for her.

Since I basically had my days free, I got to live the desert life a bit. Palm Springs proper was filled with young people (for the festival) and old people (who live there). The middle aged people must have been hanging out somewhere else this weekend.

I know that there is a huge fascination with desert life. I try to appreciate it, but it escapes me a bit. I have been to Palm Springs in high season and in the winter and I still don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, but it doesn't sing to me. Besides, they have scorpions and snakes and there's not enough tranquil beauty in the universe that can offset having to deal with those critters on a daily basis.

Everything is so far apart. You can't really "run" to the store. You have to drive quite a distance with not much in between. And the people all wear the same uniform... shorts, tee shirts, some kind of hat and always athletic shoes. I honestly don't think they really play any sports. It's too damn hot, for one thing.

Don't even try to go clothes shopping in Palm Springs unless you live there. No one dresses up and I actually think it is illegal for men to wear anything but golf shirts with some logo embroidered on the pocket. I visited one of my favorite discount chain stores only to find rack after rack of shorts and tank tops where the dresses and jeans should be. The Maxxinsistas look very different different in the desert. I did, however, find a very nice set of pink plastic party glasses with flamingos on them to use on my patio this summer, so the shopping trip was worthwhile.

Well, we headed home and a good time was had by all. I enjoyed my family and my grown kids enjoyed the festival. I felt very warm and fuzzy about our little getaway as I did my part and loaded up what was left in the refrigerator. Fresh apples and oranges, dried apricots and plums, pretzel sticks and the nice tray of pre-cut raw vegetables. I smiled. Not a Cheeto or Milk Dud in sight.