8/29/2013

Awesome August

It’s the end of August. Think about this: Every month on the calendar has at least one special holiday. My garage is filled with Santas, plastic eggs, noisemakers, shamrocks and pilgrims. It seems that there is always something exciting to look forward to as each month unfolds. We celebrated the 4th of July not so long ago and September has this week's Labor Day weekend. But nothing at all happens in August. Why?

OK, it IS my birthday month, but that’s about it. I’m looking at the calendar that my dry cleaner gave me, and the only special event in the whole month of August is a bank holiday in Canada.

When the master calendar was planned, there must have been a strike in August. It is baffling that there is nothing official going on with this particular 31-day period. It bothered me so much that I just had to investigate. Surely such a fine month was not intentionally overlooked.

Well, guess what? The 8th month of the year not only has a holiday, it has MANY! The reason you don’t know about them is that they haven’t exactly caught on yet. Shame on me for figuring this all out now that the month is almost over, but I feel that telling you what we missed will get you prepared for next year.

For example, did you know that August 7th was National Mustard Day. I wonder if Hallmark makes cards for National Left-Handers’ Day on the 13th? Watermelon Day (on the 16th) sounds yummy. On August 18th, it was National Bad Poetry Day. Here’s wishing all you bad poets out there my belated very best. I am sad that I missed August 25th is National Kiss and Make Up Day, I'm sure that there's somebody I pissed off, and I do enjoy kissing. Oh well, next year.

And just in case you weren’t already impressed, August also hosts Elvis Week (7th-16th), Kool-Aid Days (13th-15th) and the soon to be popular National Truck Driver’s Appreciation Week (22nd-28th).

By the way, these holidays and observances are real. I could never make this stuff up. Here’s an idea, why don’t we all create a holiday in August that means something to us? A day dedicated to a special event in your life or an activity or even your mate. Think of how flattered your husband would be if you were to declare it “National Brian Day.” He’ll love you for it and the month of August will be forever grateful.