12/21/2012

A Love Letter To Our Troops

When people ask me what I want for Christmas, my standard answer is world peace.

I wish it were that easy.

I have been thinking about what to write in my Christmas message this year, and it wasn’t until the other day that it hit me like a ton of fruitcake. I was in the car, listening to my favorite oldies station and singing at the top of my lungs, when the old Shirelles’ song, “Soldier Boy” came on.

I started thinking about all the American soldiers that are not going to be home for Christmas this year. You know we at LoveFifi have a special soft spot for our men and women in uniform. We do what we can. That’s why we ship all orders to APOs and FPOs for free.

It’s not just that I am a proud American, but I have the honor of helping so many military people select some pretty fantastic lingerie for very special homecomings. It is a true privilege.

Just yesterday, a lovely soldier called from Iraq to order a huge amount of lingerie for his lady. He won’t even be home for 3 months, but the anticipation is obviously keeping him going and maybe even keeping him alive. We told him to be careful and stay safe. It was so great to talk to him and share in the excitement he felt to spoil his girl back in the States.

I grew up on Bob Hope’s Christmas Specials, so I have seen a little bit of how hard it must be to not only fight a war, but to be so alone, especially during times when your family is so important. Everyone who watches television gets caught up in the stories about our soldiers serving abroad, but do we think about and appreciate all they really sacrifice for us?

Saying “Thank You” to men and women protecting this great nation feels so hollow. I would like to add a big “I’m sorry” to go with that. I am sorry that you won’t be opening gifts with your family. I am sorry that you won’t be tasting your mama’s gravy or sleeping in your own bed for a very long time. I promise you that each and every time I get to do something that could easily be taken for granted, I will think of you with utmost respect and love.

There is more to being brave than most people think about. Yes, you have to be brave to defend our country, but the bravery and unselfishness it takes to give up seeing your baby’s first step, or celebrating your wedding anniversary with the love of your life to serve our nation in time of need, is completely overwhelming to me. I cannot imagine having a child serving in some dangerous, far off place. My daughter went to college 500 miles away in San Francisco and I was nauseous about her safety and well-being most of the time.

Believe me, my sweet readers in the military, I am so grateful for everything you do and so sorry for everything you do without while you are doing your job. I pray for your safety and hope that you will be home soon. You have my support, my love, and my respect. I will be here for you always. Please keep writing to me whenever you can. You must never doubt my profound admiration and gratefulness for all of you.

I have no singing talent whatsoever, but that old Shirelles’ song says it better than I ever could now, although, I had to change it a little because times are different. This one’s for you, my darlings. I’m singing it to you right now... so listen.

"Soldier Boy... and my precious Soldier Girls... I’ll be true to you”.

Merry Christmas.