9/17/2012

As The Leaves Turn

This time of year is my favorite. I love it when the trees turn fiery colors and the air turns crisp. I am English, Scottish, and German and none of those nationalities have much to do with the sun. I am happiest in sweaters and fuzzy hats. I have the fireplace going every moment that I am home. I feel alive when the summer turns to fall.

Besides the fact that I loathe being hot, summer is really a lot of work for a woman. Think about it - you have to shave your legs and underarms constantly. I am pasty white, so I have to also slather my limbs with creams that have a hint of self-tanner so my blue-white skin doesn’t glow in the dark. You also have to take special care of your feet to look pretty in sandals.

I much prefer the clothing that comes with fall and winter. It’s so much easier to get dressed in the morning when I can cover my ample hips with a long cardigan. If my hair is wonky I can wear a cute hat. I can let the hair grow on my legs until it’s long enough to braid, if I felt like it.

I dream of the fall through June, July and August. Summer clothing is challenging for me. I like butt covers. You know... shirts and tops that are longer to cover up the ravages of childbirth and doughnuts. There are not a whole lot of choices when the weather turns hot. I tried the Hawaiian shirt route, but I always felt like a refugee from Margaritaville. I just can’t carry off that tropical vibe.

But fall has arrived and the smells coming from the pine trees and chimneys get me so invigorated. To me, there is nothing better than a home with a fireplace roaring and the scent of stew or soup wafting from the kitchen. You miss all of that in summer. Salads don’t waft.

So many things are better when it’s chilly... hugs, cuddling, and sleeping in, just to name a few. It’s going to pour rain all this weekend in Los Angeles. I look forward to staying home and watching movies I never got to see in the theatres. I have groceries in the house, so I am all set. It’s just me and my dogs and the sounds of nature outside.

It is also during the fall and winter that I double up on counting my blessings. I know that there are so many people who have to go to work in the rain and the snow. There are others who have a roof over their heads but no heat. And this time of year is especially hellish for the homeless. It breaks my heart and I do what I can to help.

I know you always expect me to be funny and sarcastic, but there is a very tender side to me and I am eternally grateful for the life I live. I never lose sight of how lucky I am. This time of year makes me particularly sappy.

I have never truly been down and out, but I know what it is like to dread the rain and the cold. When I was raising my children, money was very tight much of the time. The roof on our house needed replacing badly; even the lightest rain would come through the ceilings. We had no money to replace it and it was beyond repair. I hated it when the rains would threaten. My now ex-husband and I would go up on the roof and lay out sheets of bright blue heavy plastic and secure the edges with bricks and rocks. I’ll admit that it looked pretty bad and the neighbors gave us disapproving looks whenever we had to spring into action and put up the “roof condom” (as I called it affectionately). When we finally got the money together to put on a new roof, I threw the blue plastic and the drip buckets away in a private ceremony.

I always get so sentimental in autumn. A few weeks ago, as I left for work, I noticed that a gentle rain had left an amazing array of multi-toned leaves on the ground. I gathered up a gorgeous variety of different colors and shapes and brought them to the office to present to my graphic artist, Nora. I was a little fearful that she would think me strange to bring her leaves, but art brains understand other art brains, and she squealed with delight. She immediately laid the leaves out on a flat surface, covered them with newspaper and put a heavy board on top to let them dry. Yesterday we uncovered the dried leaves and made big plans to do something amazing with them. She suggested decoupaging them on a tray to use here at the office. We both squealed! Nothing gets artsy fartsy types wigglier than the word “decoupage”. When we finish the project, I will take a picture and let you all see it. Promise.

Also, the holiday season is here. I have to keep myself from getting into big trouble when it comes to buying decorations. I had to limit my time watching QVC because I know in my heart that I actually can live without most of the fabulous light-up, twinkly, musical Christmas décor that they sell. I want it all, but know I could easily end up at the Betty Ford Center if I don’t curb my addiction.

I will be going through my own Christmas decorations this weekend. Once again I will assess, as I always do this time of year, whether having 187 nutcracker characters and over 100 snow globes is practical at this stage in my life. As I un-wrap each treasure and remember when and where I bought it and how old my babies were at the time, getting rid of anything makes no sense at all.

Well, now you’ve seen the mushy squishy side of me. Now you know... my sharp tongue and snappy wit are tempered by a huge heart. I love animals, kids, and America. My family and friends are my world. I am a sucker for the underdog and will do anything to help another person.

That being said... this doesn’t mean that I can keep my mouth shut if something needs to be said or kick some butt when butt-kicking is needed.

Enjoy your beautiful fall weekend. Hugs!