9/17/2012

The Palomino and the Butterfly

I have two perfect sisters. I am the oldest of the 3 of us and the two younger ones never let me forget it. They delight in acting giggly and stupid if a business offers a discount for people over 55 on food or services. They always let me know about the “senior rates” on everything. How thoughtful.



The funny thing is that both of my sisters think that I am so damn accomplished and exciting. Just because I have told them that I am “The Queen of the World”, I didn’t actually think that they believed me.

The truth of the matter is, even though I obviously have them convinced that I am brilliant beyond words and completely fabulous in all ways, it is really me who is humbled by them.

We call my middle sister Del. It’s a shortened version of her proper name, but I still like to tell everyone that it’s short for “delicious”. She is taller than me with natural platinum blonde hair and devastating baby blue eyes. When she enters a room, she is always noticed, and it’s more than just her looks. It’s the way she carries herself. She has this regal air about her. Just recently I gave her a dark brown outfit of mine that I never wore because it didn’t look good on me. When she put it on, she was an elegant vision in espresso colored gauze. Gorgeous! I never wore it because I looked like a big bran muffin in it. She can carry off what others can’t.

She didn’t always stand up straight and tall and walk into a room like she owned the place. Growing up in a world of button-nosed size 5 “Gidget” girls had an effect on her self esteem. One day she explained to me why she sought the shadows rather than the spotlight. No... it’s not because I pushed her out of the way.

I will never forget that moment when she explained to me, quite tearfully, that her height and athletic shape made her feel awkward and unbeautiful amongst all the little petite girls. It came as such a shock to me. "But sister!" I told her. "You are SO beautiful. You are my Palomino." "Palomino?" she asked quizzingly. I went on to tell her that she has always reminded me of one of those gorgeous palomino horses. The very essence of sleek magnificence... the palest gold in color with a silky flaxen mane that blows in the wind as this thoroughbred creature gallops gracefully through life. Powerful, beautiful and strong...

Del liked that. Now every time she is having a bad hair day, fat day or a generally poopy day, she asks me to tell her that "Palomino thing" again.

Jackie is our baby sister. She will turn 48 in a couple of days. Since no one does denial better than she does, she refers to this birthday as turning 30/18.

Everyone loves Jackie. She is pretty and sexy and funny. She can dance and sing and will do so with all she’s got as if no one is watching. She is a free spirit who would rather be riding her Harley than having tea with the queen, but there is a gentle feminine innocence to her that captivates and charms. Have you ever been outside and all of a sudden, out of nowhere comes this beautiful creature with iridescent, multi-colored wings fluttering by? Every eye is watching as it flits poetically from flower to leaf. It’s like that when Jackie is around. Like the butterfly, Jackie spent part of her life in the not-so-pretty caterpillar stage. There were times when even the ones who loved her most had trouble believing that she would leave the security of the ground and emerge into a gossamer-winged beauty and take flight. But just like the process of a caterpillar turning into a butterfly is a miracle of nature, so is our baby sister.

These are words I have wanted to write for a very long time. Today seemed like the perfect opportunity to pay tribute to my precious sisters. They mean the world to me. And besides, we have no idea who will die first, so if it’s not me, I have a great head start on their eulogies.

I love you, Del. I am in awe of you.

Happy Birthday, Jacks. We are so proud of you. You are adored.

P.S. I hope you all have a fabulously fun and safe 4th of July. It is one of my favorite holidays and I can't wait for the great food and fireworks. Hopefully you will all be doing something with the family. If you are spending the holiday with your siblings or someone who is like a sister or brother to you, tell them how much they mean to you.

Love, Fifi